The SEEDS Research Fellowship provides students who have participated (or are participating) in the SEEDS FYSE, Transfer Seminar, Mentoring, and/or Virtus/Flexus Living and Learning Communities programs the opportunity to enhance the students’ knowledge, skills and practical experience in conducting engineering research, to facilitate mentoring relationships between students and faculty, and to encourage undergraduates to pursue engineering at the graduate level and in the professional world.
At least twenty undergraduate students receive funding to work with a faculty mentor on a research project for one or more academic terms (fall, winter, spring and/or summer).
Research Fellows will:
- Participate in a number of different aspects of the research process.
- Have the opportunity to collaborate with graduate students, meet with a faculty advisor, write papers on the projects, conduct extensive literature reviews, and present the research at conferences and symposiums.
- Receive a $1250.00 stipend for each semester of participation in the program.
- An information session will be held on Tuesday February 7th, 6:00-7:00 PM in 1131B
All Research Fellows are required to:
- Attend one orientation session.
- Participate in evaluating the SEEDS Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program, including attending one-hour focus groups (1 for the summer, 2 for the academic year) and completeing written evaluation surveys.
- Participate in a SEEDS Research Symposium and UMD's Undergraduate Research Day, where they will present their research projects to an audience of peers, faculty, staff, administrators, friends, and family.
Are you a Montgomery College Student?
Gain valuable research experience with a UMD faculty member while still enrolled at Montgomery College by becoming a SEEDS-MC Summer Research Fellow.
Recently Transfered to the Clark School of Engineering?
New community college transfer students are eligible to apply for the SEEDS Research Fellowship Program. SEEDS Research Fellows work one-on-one with a faculty mentor on a research project for one academic year.
Priority deadline: February 20, 2016 - Spring Term
Students will work with a faculty member to complete the application. Application materials for the SEEDS Research Fellowship Program are available now. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until all positions are full.
- Select [pdf] a faculty member to work with. The Maryland Student Researchers (MSR) program has a database of faculty looking for undergraduate researchers, click here to view the listings.
- Complete the online application, which includes a research proposal (2 page max). See the Fellowship Agreement for the ouline for the research proposal.
- Applicants must complete a Fellowship Agreement[pdf] and submit to:
One Semester: Fellowship Agreement - Spring Term Students
Two Semester: Fellowship Agreement
1131 Glenn L. Martin Hall
College Park, MD 20742
Both research fellowship opportunities allow you to enhance your knowledge, skills and practical experience in conducting engineering research. Research Fellows receive a $1,250 stipend each semester. All Research Fellows present their results at University of Maryland's Undergraduate Research Day in April, where they present their research projects to an audience of peers, faculty, staff, administrators, friends and family.
Please contact Greg Stinson at 301-405-9434 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.